This blog is dedicated to my daily driver, a 1967 VW Camper. It's a conversion done by Riviera Motors in Oregon back in the 60s. I'll update this with pictures, video, and stories of the work I do to it and the adventures I have in it.Ask Me Stuff!
I’m in the Bay Area and just dropped $4.13 a gallon for regular…and that was just down the street from some insane place pimpin’ regular for $4.59!
I totally had plans to head over to the weekly BLTN meet tonight, but when it’s going to cost me $17 in gas just to go there for a couple hours and drive back, I guess I’ll pass.
That sucks. A whole bag of dicks.
In other news, I at least get to spend tomorrow wrenching on the bus. Plans include tearing apart my disc brakes so I can finally get the rotors machined. And if that goes well, I’m going to swap out my stock pulley for a degreed one (that I bought almost a year ago).
…and by that, I mean his driveway. I love my dad…he’s a great tinkerer and has a great mind for figuring stuff out. Since I have a baby appointment to make this afternoon, he offered to let me take his car and he’d check the brakes over, cinch down the bleeder valves, and get stuff sorted.
The spindle ends grinding on the inside of the dust caps is a clear and present problem. Not sure if we’re going to fab up a spacer or find a way to use the old dust caps on the new hubs. We’ll see.
Well, I wasn’t in a position to work on the bus pretty much at all between getting it home Wednesday night and this morning. But I was able to get out there today and do the following:
- Install the speedo cable
- Properly wire the tach
- Put magnets on my dashboard people so they’re not permanent fixtures
- Remove some stickers on the back & add my Shasta Snow Trip sticker
- Get the CB radio wired up (was picking up Hawaii on skip, too!)
- Temporarily reattach brake circuit wires (my job from last Weds just fell off!)
- Attached the wiper arms
Went for a spin afterward to shake things down. Part way through, the tach, turn signals, and hazards decided to stop working. By the time I was just about home the turn signals worked again and the hazard switch light would flash (but not the actual signals!).
I went out later after some lunch and laundry to put a better ground on the tach as well as correct the power wire for it and that works fine now. Still can’t get the roof lights to work. Turn signals are still fine and the hazard switch light still is the only thing flashing in that circuit. Hrm!
So last weekend I had another wrench day to fix the broken stuff we found at the last wrench day. That’s never a good thing, is it?
It was a cold and rainy day all the way through. So off came the roofrack so we could get the bus in my friend’s garage. That was a big help, but the wind was sooo chill (and not that cool chill we all wish it was).
We replaced the transmission mount and adjusted the shifter a bit. Holy crap! I’ve never had any VW that’s shifted this well! It’s unreal, it’s so good! I’m expecting it to break or something!
The motor naturally came out to do that. It was cleaned up and the carburetor rebuilt. And I’ve now had too many people say “Wow, I’m amazed it was even running like this” too many times when looking at or working on my bus. Apparently my carburetor needed help. And it got help! It’s great now, but there’s a little bit of adjusting I still need to do to it. The idle is really slow to drop back down after coming to a stop.
We also installed a header system to help the air flow out the back end. Yes, it’s a little louder, but I need all the help I can get driving a stock bus with its (ideally) 53hp!
In awesomer news, my good pal Robert finally bought his first bus…a 1969 Westy camper. It’s a funky ride that’s had some interesting alterations done to it over the years, but I’m eager to help him get it back on the road!