This blog is dedicated to my daily driver, a 1967 VW Camper. It's a conversion done by Riviera Motors in Oregon back in the 60s. I'll update this with pictures, video, and stories of the work I do to it and the adventures I have in it.Ask Me Stuff!
…but they don’t make for a terribly exciting photo. That is all.
You likely saw that last weekend, I finished rebuilding both 32PDSIT carburetors I bought off The Samba a couple months ago. They’re a million times cleaner than they were thanks to Cobey giving them a major soak in pure Simple Green. Night and Day!
I sourced a pair of rebuild kits from Peninsula Automotive in Campbell and had a good experience putting everything back together properly. It also helps me understand more how a carburetor works in the first place, so that’s never a bad thing!
Now, one of the carbs has a couple pieces that looked bent, but I didn’t have anything to compare it to…until Kelley Park when I scored a whole second set of carbs and a bunch of other parts! Yup, those bent parts definitely should NOT be like that. So I’ll swap those bits out and call it a day. No biggie, but it sadly lessens what I could get for those carbs when I go to sell ‘em.
I also recently scored an entire bin of Type 3 parts from my friend Aldo. Some of it I can use with the wife’s Notchback, some I’m just going to sell. But it looked at first like all the linkage arms I needed were in there. Rather, one arm is there. Hey, that’s something! That’s one more than I had before!
Now I just need to find the other. And oddly, there’s a Samba ad for some T3 linkage arms…from a seller in Redwood City, CA. Yeah. I work in Redwood City. If he’s got what I need, I’m not sure I could have worked it out any better!
And due to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow! I can’t wait to get my hands on them and fiddle with them and figure out how the oddball linkage I bought yesterday (couldn’t beat the $15 asking price) will work with them. I’ll post a picture of the linkage in a little while. The guy who sold it to me asked that I post up a picture of how I get them to work on his website.
I know the air cleaners are on their way. Just wonder where they are….
So last weekend I had another wrench day to fix the broken stuff we found at the last wrench day. That’s never a good thing, is it?
It was a cold and rainy day all the way through. So off came the roofrack so we could get the bus in my friend’s garage. That was a big help, but the wind was sooo chill (and not that cool chill we all wish it was).
We replaced the transmission mount and adjusted the shifter a bit. Holy crap! I’ve never had any VW that’s shifted this well! It’s unreal, it’s so good! I’m expecting it to break or something!
The motor naturally came out to do that. It was cleaned up and the carburetor rebuilt. And I’ve now had too many people say “Wow, I’m amazed it was even running like this” too many times when looking at or working on my bus. Apparently my carburetor needed help. And it got help! It’s great now, but there’s a little bit of adjusting I still need to do to it. The idle is really slow to drop back down after coming to a stop.
We also installed a header system to help the air flow out the back end. Yes, it’s a little louder, but I need all the help I can get driving a stock bus with its (ideally) 53hp!
In awesomer news, my good pal Robert finally bought his first bus…a 1969 Westy camper. It’s a funky ride that’s had some interesting alterations done to it over the years, but I’m eager to help him get it back on the road!